Sunday, April 27, 2008

Athens twilight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnKqq9xWJo

This was the biggest event of the speedweek series. The crowed reaches between 30 and 40 thousand all lining the streets of down town Athens. The race doesn't start till about 9 at night and finished close to 11. It is a 4 corner 1km circuit with a few rollers in it. we do 80 laps.




Because of my computrainer result i got to start front row behined the call up. It was chaos over 100 riders on the tight circuit. Most of the race i spent trying not to burn to many matches and slowly moving up, I never got to see the front of the race. All through the race riders were shelling off only about 50 riders finished, there were quite a few crashes which made things interesting but i managed to avoid them and not get caught waiting.

Coming into the last 12 laps i tried to start moving towards the front of the race, with about 5 laps to go and a few close calls i had moved up a big bunch of spaces but i started cramping up and the chaos in front of me wasn't giving any more opportunity's to get any closer to the front. I rolled in over the line in 29th position.

I was reasonably happy with my ride, i survived well. I know i have a lot better results in me so I'm looking forward to the rest of the week, my speed should start picking up a lot since this was my first full blowen crit since last season.

My next race starts on Tuesday night, cant wait...

No comments: