Monday, July 23, 2007

Evanston 100km crit

It was a 2 hour drive down towards Chicago for the Evanston criterium, the second to last NRC race of the superweek series. I was feeling great after a rest day. The coarse was a figure eight shape with plenty of man hole covers and pot holes.

For the first time I managed to get a start position close to the front. This was short lived after i punctured only 5 laps into the race, when you are given a spare wheel at sram race support pit you have to merge into the last third of the field after the free lap. I moved in comfortably and back up to the front quite easily within a couple of laps. I am now feeling more comfortable in the bunch then ever.

Initially there were a lot of attempts at breaks but the pace was high enough and the field was fresh enough nothing stuck. I made a few solo breaks trying to get across to some threatening breaks.

Two riders eventually managed to get clear of the field, then laps later a group of 3 got away, when they got out to about 15 seconds i jumped across and help start chasing the leaders, we were soon caught by 2 other riders before catching the leading two riders. the break was now 8 riders strong including Adam Bergmen (Colavita), Peter Dawson (South Australia), Viktor Rapinski (navigators). We were clear enough from the field to not have to worry. Coming into the closing three laps the attacks started, I held back waiting for the sprint. With half a lap to go Haydens Team mate attacked with half a lap to go when i was on the front. I was expecting the others to follow but it never happened and i got stuck there till a late chase started. Coming out of the final turn I started sprinting from the back. I came past and managed to hold on to 2nd place and fast catching Adam. We averaged over 45km/h for the day.

I am very happy with my achievement and now have a great confidence boost for the final week of racing.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2007/jul07/superweek07/superweek0711

No comments: