Sunday, May 6, 2007

Cone Azalia classic (75miles 100+ riders)

This was a 7 lap 10.5mile circuit with 4miles of gravel per lap in two sections. 35mph cross wind on gravels sections. We reached the first gravel section within 2 km of the start and i happened to hit the roughest part of the pot holes. My handle bars slip down and i lost both drink bottles and causing me to drop back in the peloton. Not a good start.

By the end of the first gravel section i hadn't noticed that a break of 7 riders had gotten way off the front but 2 of my team mates were in it. Thinking it was safe i was comfortable sitting in the bunch not needing to chase and leave it up to the two guys to keep it covered off the front. At the second gravel section much to my shock both of my team mates who were in the break (Bennett and Jimmy) were standing on the side of the road both with punctures. Not good again.

We were pretty much the only team without someone in the break and only chad and myself in the peloton, the race was basically over, but did not want to go down without a fight. With no other teams wanting to work i took it upon myself to keep it rolling in hope of getting the break back in sight. I was feeling really strong. Coming into the last 2 laps everyone had been messing around and only a couple of others had helped, chad had done his best to help me out and was riding well until being forced into the ditch by a competitor and dropped off the back. By this time the bunch had dwindled down to around 20 riders with 6 up the road.

On the closing lap we still didn't have the leaders in sight. About 5km from the finish one of the teams sent rider off the front of our group after doing no work, hoping to get away to pick up 7th place. I had it covered and attacked with only one guy able to follow me, the rest of the bunch had smashed apart trying to make it up with us. I caught the rider who was on the attack and the three of us put time into the rest of the field. Coming into the closing sprint everyone was trying to pull out their tactics for the sprint but in the end i took it out after everyone had put down there best effort to jump away. Over all i finished 7th which was pleasing considering. I was disappointed for the team but happy with my racing form.

No comments: