Saturday, June 23, 2007

stage 5 50mile circuit race

The 12mile circuit had one climb on it which was pretty tough when you didn't have good positioning as a lot of people could not keep up with the tempo going up and would let wheels go. I had a particularly bad day. I just didn't feel on top of things, thanks to my strong team mates i just had to make sure i covered the breaks i was in a position to and that make sure i was there for the sprint to go for the time bonuses.

Everything was going well until the closing 2 miles where i was in the line up which was unorganised as no one team really took control of the lead out. I got swarmed and ended up back half way through the bunch. Luckily there was 'some room' on the outside between the two last left hand turns and i basically sprinted around the outside of the bunch and swung into second wheel through the final corner. I burnt all my matches making my way up to the front and once i was onto Hekmans wheel for the lead out all i could do was just hold on. I ended up rolling across the line in 5th place. I was disappointed with my ride but i am still up their on GC and looking forward to a great crit on the final day tomorrow.

No comments: